North Korea Fires Second Ballistic Missile Over Japan In Under A Month

North Korea has fired a second ballistic missile over Hokkaido, Japan in under a month

  • Pyongyang was said to have fired the missile from Sunan

  • South Korea fired two Hyunmoo-II missiles six minutes after Pyongyang’s missile

  • Friday’s missile comes just days after the UN Security Council boosted sanctions against Pyongyang

On Friday, North Korea launched a second missile that traveled East towards Japan, the South Korean Army has confirmed. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said the missile was launched from Sunan, Pyongyang’s international airport.

Just last month, Pyongyang used the same airport to fire a Hwasong-12 intermediate range missile over Northern Japan, which was declared a “meaningful prelude” in regards to containing US Pacific island territory of Guam. In also was said to signify the beginning of more tests targeted at the Pacific Ocean.

Nuclear Bomb Of Juche

Officials in Japan have reported that the missile was fired at 6:57 am Japan time. The missile reportedly flew over Hokkaido before it landed in the Pacific Ocean approximately nine minutes later. The missile reportedly landed 2,000 kilometers east of the islands of Cape Erimo.

The South Korean Army believes that the missile flew 3,700km and reached an altitude of 770km. This is a significantly shorter and lower trajectory than recent missile launches from Pyongyang.

In this last week, Pyongyang has increased tension with Japan by stating that, “The four islands of the [Japanese] archipelago should be sunken into the sea by the nuclear bomb of Juche.” The country’s founder Kim Il-sung created the ideology of Juche, which is based upon self-reliance.

Just twelve days ago, North Korea conducted their sixth nuclear test with a successful hydrogen bomb that caused a 6.2 magnitude earthquake, according to officials in South Korea. The artificial earthquake was detected near Pyongyang’s Pyunggye-ri nuclear test site and later confirmed the North as a successful nuclear test.

US Military

The US military released the following statement in regards to Friday’s missile launch:

US Pacific Command detected and tracked what we assess was a single North Korean ballistic missile launch at 11.57am Hawaii time [9.57pm GMT] September 14.

Initial assessment indicates the launch of an intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM). The launch occurred in the vicinity of Sunan, North Korea, and flew east.

The ballistic missile overflew the territory of northern Japan before landing in the Pacific Ocean east of Japan …

The North American Aerospace Defense Command (Norad) determined this ballistic missile did not pose a threat to North America. US Pacific Command determined this ballistic missile did not pose a threat to Guam.

We continue to monitor North Korea’s actions closely.

Our commitment to the defense of our allies, including the Republic of Korea and Japan, in the face of these threats remains ironclad. We remain prepared to defend ourselves and our allies from any attack or provocation.

More Sanctions More Problems

On Monday, the United Nations Security Council agreed to place more sanctions against Pyongyang. The added sanctions included a ban on textile exports and a ceiling on imports of crude oil. The council is said to be meeting in a matter of hours to discuss Friday’s missile launch by Pyongyang.

The US Pacific Command and the South Korean Military believe the missile to be an intermediate-range ballistic missile, similar to the Hwasong-12 fired in August. However, the Japanese foreign minister Taro Kono believes Friday’s missile was an intercontinental ballistic missile, which has a much greater range.

Yonhap news agency reported that South Korea responded almost immediately to North Korea’s missile by firing two Hyunmoo-II missiles between the training site and the Sunan airfield. South Korea fired the two missiles just six minutes after Pyongyang fired their missile. One of the missiles was said to have failed in the initial stage and fell into the water. The failure is now being investigated.

Shinzo Abe

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe released the following response:

The UN resolution showed the international community’s unified strong will for a peaceful solution. But despite that, North Korea has again carried out this outrageous conduct.

It is absolutely unacceptable.

We request an emergency meeting of the United Nations security council. Global peace is threatened by North Korea’s dangerous provocations.

The international community should unite against such conduct to send a clear message … The recent sanctions and resolutions must be fully complied with and implemented. That is now ever more clear.

If North Korea continues to walk this road, there will be no bright future. We need to get North Korea to understand that.

This time, the Japanese government once again, since immediately after the missile launch … had completely assessed the movements of the missile and we have taken all full necessary measures.

And under the firm Japan-US alliance, we will step up our level of alert to ensure the security and the sense of security of the Japanese people.

Comments

comments

About Meko Haze

Meko Haze is an independent journalist by day... and an independent journalist by night.

One comment

Leave a Reply