Supporters Feel No Justice For Jhornee Bland After Her Babysitter Receives Probation

Supporters feel no justice for 2-year-old Jhornee Bland after her babysitter receives probation

  • Jhornee was reported missing on May 8, 2016 by her mother Jackquailine Hardin

  • Police were later told the location of the body by Jhornee’s babysitter 26-year-old Tyerria Miles

  • An autopsy stated the cause of death to be undetermined

  • On Wednesday Miles was sentenced to 18-months probation

On Sunday, May 8, 2016, 2-year-old Jhornee Bland was reported missing in Wichita, Kansas. The following afternoon, police learned the location of the body while investigating Jhornee’s babysitter 26-year-old Tyerria M. Miles.

Jhornee’s body was discovered in the area of the 1900 block of North Hydraulic at roughly 2:00 pm on Monday, May 9, 2016. The young girl’s autopsy stated the cause of death was “undetermined.”

Timothy Gorrill, deputy coroner and medical examiner for the Sedgwick County Regional Forensic Science Center stated in the report that, “The autopsy findings, including review of the circumstances of death, medical records, and toxicology results did not reveal a definitive cause of death.”

Interfering With Law Enforcement

Miles was initially held in Sedgwick County Jail without bond on charges of aggravated child endangerment and stolen property. Miles would end up being charged with interfering with law enforcement, which she pleaded guilty to last month. On Wednesday, Miles was sentenced to 18-months probation for her involvement in Jhornee’s unexplained death.

Jhornee’s mother, Jackquailine Hardin, said in court on Wednesday, “Probation is not what I want. Period,” the Wichita Eagle reported. Hardin went on to say, “Something had to happen” to her, in regards to her daughter’s unknown death. Miles turned down a chance to speak on her behalf at Wednesday’s sentencing.

May 4, 2016

Jhornee was reportedly left in the care of Miles since May 4, 2016. The young girl attended a birthday party with other children at a local motel on Saturday, May 7. Investigators believe Jhornee died on May 8, between 1:00 am and 8:50 am.

On Sunday, May 8, at roughly 10:00 pm, Miles is believed to have placed Jhornee’s body in her car. She then drove to the 1900 block of North Hydraulic where she left the body.

Miles was supposed to be picking up Hardin, who had called to check on Jhornee. During that call, Miles claimed that she had dropped Jhornee off with an acquaintance’s apartment at Oliver and 31st Street South. At that point, Hardin called 911.

Police discovered Miles’ story to be false after they went to the location and learned that the apartment had been vacant for a long time. Police then interviewed both Hardin and Miles and decided the situation did not meet the criteria for an Amber Alert.

During the investigation, police quickly learned the location of Jhornee’s body. On May 9 Miles was held on charges of aggravated child endangerment and stolen property but later released with no charges.


Many feel Wednesday’s decision to give Miles probation is hardly enough to bring Jhornee and her family justice. The 18-months of probation carries an underlying prison sentence of 11-months. Miles, a stay at home mother, must also get her GED, avoid any contact with Jhornee’s family, and pay $350 in attorney fees to avoid jail time.

Miles silence in regards to the death has supporters of Jhornee wondering if anybody will ever get answers about the young girl’s death.



About Meko Haze

Meko Haze is an independent journalist by day... and an independent journalist by night.

One comment

Leave a Reply

Like us on Facebook!