Latest death count is said to be at least 220 after a 7.1 magnitude earthquake struck the Mexico City area
It is believed the death count will continue to grow as rescue efforts continue
Tuesday’s earthquake was on the 32nd anniversary of an 8.2 magnitude earthquake that killed 9,500 in 1985
Citizens along with rescue workers are continuing to dig through the rubble searching for survivors and the deceased
The latest death count following a 7.1 magnitude earthquake near Mexico City is now believed to be at least 220 as emergency workers and citizens continue to dig through the rubble of collapsed buildings.
Just hours ago the death count was at 116 people, but many were sure that number was going to continue to grow. The earthquake was strong enough to cause Mexico’s Popocatépetl volcano to erupt. In Atzitzihuacan, a church located on the slopes of the volcano collapsed killing fifteen.
Public education undersecretary Javier Treviño reported that 21 children and four adults died when Enrique Rebsámen school collapsed.
A seven-story building in La Condesa collapsed, forcing hundreds to dig through the rubble with their bare hands, shovels and makeshift tools while waiting for authorities to arrive.
Those in the area are still combing through the aftermath of the quake searching for survivors and more deceased. Many in the area are said to be staying outside as they are scared to return inside.
Tuesday’s earthquake is the second massive quake to hit Mexico in under two weeks. Just over a week, ago an 8.1 magnitude struck in the Pacific, killing 90 and placing the area in a tsunami warning that was eventually lifted.
This most recent earthquake occurred on the 32nd anniversary of an 8.2 earthquake that killed at least 9,500 on September 19, 1985.
People in the area had gone through earthquake drills earlier in the day on Tuesday before the quake hit. Since the 1985 quake hit, building codes were made stricter, and precautions including Tuesday’s drills were introduced.