Former DAPL Security Kyle Thompson Arrested For Failure To Appear

Former DAPL security officer Kyle Thompson arrested for failure to appear

  • Thompson was booked on a failure to appear charge on Sunday

  • The failure to appear stems from charges Thompson received in April of this year

  • Thompson received national attention after being caught on video pulling an AR-15 on water protectors on October 27,2016

Just days after former DAPL security officer Kyle Thompson did an interview with the founder of Digital Smoke Signals, Myron Dewey, he was arrested once again.

Thompson received national attention after being caught on video pulling an AR-15 on water protectors on October 27, 2016, in the midst of the months long DAPL protests. Water protectors surrounded Thompson and tried to deescalate the situation until BIA arrived on the scene and arrested the security officer.

After DAPL

In the months following the DAPL protects, Thompson has faced multiple hardships. On March 28, 2017, Thompson’s 26-year-old sister Kalli Rae Thompson passed away due to injuries she sustained in a motor vehicle accident.

On April 17, 2017, Thompson was arrested for domestic violence, carrying a concealed weapon, and drug paraphernalia, other than marijuana. Thompson plead guilty to concealed weapon, simple assault, and possession of marijuana and methamphetamine paraphernalia at his initial hearing.

Bismarck Municipal Court Judge William Severin sentenced Thompson to two days in jail for the simple assault charge. He was given a deferred imposition from South Central District Judge Bruce Romanick on the weapon and methamphetamine paraphernalia charges. A deferred imposition means the charges will be dropped if Thompson has no other legal issues for a year.

Thompson claimed that he and his girlfriend, Kourtni Dockter had been having issues since his sister passed away. The police were called after multiple witnesses claimed to have witnessed Thompson hitting Dockter inside his vehicle. While searching Thompson’s vehicle, police found a handgun tucked between the driver seat and center console, and a rifle in the backseat. Police also discovered a zipper pouch containing syringes, spoons, a grinder and a glass smoking device said to contain a residue.

Failure To Appear

Thompson was arrested again on July 16, 2017, for failure to appear. One of the conditions for Thompson to keep his freedom after his April 17 arrest was that he complete a domestic violence course. Thompson apparently was not able to complete the course and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest on July 12. Thompson was released shortly after being booked at 9:32 am Sunday morning.

Leighton Security Services

Thompson has once again grabbed the attention of water protectors after coming forward in a brief interview with Dewey. In the video, Thompson claims that he was the project manager for Leighton Security Services when he pulled a gun on water protectors during protests on October 27, 2016.

Thompson now claims to be a water protector who is ready to come forward with what he knows to try and help others that are still facing court dates from the over 700 arrests made during the DAPL protests.



About Meko Haze

Meko Haze is an independent journalist by day... and an independent journalist by night.

Leave a Reply