Andrew Finch Was Not The First Swatting Linked To Casey Viner

A swatting call in Cincinnati Ohio was a former address of 18-year-old Casey Viner

  • Casey Viner is one of three people charged federally for a swatting call in Wichita Kansas

  • Officer Justin Rapp fatally shot Andrew Finch after responding to the swatting call in Wichita

  • Viner asked Tyler Barriss to SWAT Shane Gaskill following an online dispute

A swatting call that occurred in Cincinnati, Ohio in December has been released to the public. The address involved in the call is a former address of 18-year-old Casey Viner.

Viner is one of three people charged in a federal swatting case that happened in Wichita, Kansas. On December 28, 2017, the Wichita Police Department received a suspicious call. The caller claimed he had killed his father and was holding the rest of his family at gunpoint and had covered the house in gasoline.

Shortly after officers arrived on the scene, Officer Justin Rapp fatally shot Finch from 44 yards away with an AR-15 roughly 7 seconds after he opened the front door of the house. Officers later learned the call was a swatting call that originated from California.

Viner asked 25-year-old Tyler Barriss to “SWAT” 19-year-old Shane Gaskill following an online dispute over a Call of Duty game with a $1.50 bet. Gaskill, a Wichita resident, gave his former address which was Finch’s address at the time of the shooting. Finch had no knowledge of the online dispute and did not know any of the people involved.

It is reported that in December Kelly McKinley’s residence in College Hill—a neighborhood in Cincinnati—was swatted. Viner is a former resident at the residence.

The call sounds very familiar to the call made in Wichita that cost Finch his life. In the recording, a caller claimed to have shot his dad in the head and was holding his mom and sister hostage in the closet. In the swatting call in Wichita, Barriss used an app to fake a Wichita number. It is not known if Barriss played a part in the Cincinnati swatting.

McKinley told WLWT 5 police were saying, “‘Robert Kelly, come on out, Robert Kelly, come on out,’ and I’m not Robert Kelly, so I stayed in, I figured it was somewhere else along the street, not my house.” Luckily, nobody was hurt during the Cincinnati swatting call.

Barriss, Gaskill, and Viner have been federally charged for the swatting callI in Wichita and are scheduled to make a first appearance in court next week. In April, Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett announced there would be no charges filed against Rapp. In May, Rapp testified in court that he did not see a gun in Finch’s hand before taking his shot.

“The Finch family will continue to focus on the federal civil rights litigation against the City of Wichita, the Wichita Police Department and Officer Justin Rapp. It is our hope that cities across the country will learn from the Andy Finch ‘swatting’ incident and develop best practices to avoid these types of tragedies in the future,” Andrew Stroth, attorney for the Finch family said in a statement.



About Meko Haze

Meko Haze is an independent journalist by day... and an independent journalist by night.

Leave a Reply

Like us on Facebook!